Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Just the FAQs


The current departmental collection FAQs on the Te Papa web site.

NATURAL ENVIRONMENT
What can you tell me about the pygmy blue whale?
How was the pygmy blue whale in Mountains to Sea prepared for display?
What is a moa?
What can you tell me about tuatara?
How do tuatara live?
Are tuatara endangered?
What is kauri gum?
What can you tell me about the pohutakawa tree?
Who are the contacts for enquiries about botany?
What type of dinosaur does Te Papa's dinosaur bone belong to?
Where was Te Papa's dinosaur bone found?
Who is Joan Wiffen?
What can you tell me about the kea?
What are the different kinds of kiwi?
What can you tell me about volcanoes?
What do I do if I find a bird with a band around its leg?
What can you tell me about the weta?
What are the main facts of the Wahine disaster?
Where is New Zealand pounamu (nephrite jade) found?
What can you tell me about the colossal squid?
How many native tress and shrubs are planted in Bush City?
What can you tell me about Nga Kakahu a Papataanuku (Te Papa's iwi planting area)

HISTORY
What can you tell me about the de Surville anchor?
Who discovered the de Surville anchors?
What happened to Phar Lap's remains?
What is the Tamil Bell?
What can you tell me about Te Papa's Pacific Collection?
What can you tell me about the Britten motorbike
What can you tell me about the Tiger Moth?
What can you tell me about the Endeavour cannon?
What is the Treaty of Waitangi? What do the articles of the Treaty of Waitangi contain?
What can you tell me about the Zhang Heng earthquake recorder?
How does the Zhang Heng seismograph work?
Who was Hone Heke?
Where is the sarcophagus and the Egyptian mummy?
What can you tell me about the Egyptian mummy?
Who was Sir James Hector?
Where is Captain Cook's cloak?
What can you tell me about Captain Cook's cloak?

MAORI/ TAONGA MAORI
What can you tell me about Te Papa's waharoa in the Wellington foyer?
What is Te Marae o Te Papa Tongarewa?
What is the protocol on The Marae?
What is the powhiri (welcome)?
When does the kawa (protocol) change?
What can you tell me about the Mauri Stone in The Marae?
What can you tell me about Te Hau ki Taranga?
What is Teremoe?
What is Te Aurere?
Where do Maori and Pacific Island people come from?
What is Matariki?
Where are toi moko, also called moko mokai (tattooed, dried human heads)?

ART & VISUAL CULTURE
What can you tell me about Charles Goldie?
What happened to the Academy of Fine Arts?
Image: Question mark